Re: UKHA Team on Grid.org

Grid Computing is a bit of a love to me. My masters thesis which I
just completed a few months ago was based on using Grid Computing for
Artificial Intelligence purposes.

I was using a very nifty 80Ghz IBM cluster for it though.

http://www.chrismiles.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Chris%20Miles%20-%
20thesis.doc

Its an interesting read if your geek minded like me

Chris

> Hi all,
>
> It's been over a year since I last posted this reminder (and over 3
> years since we started.)
>
> This is to remind you that there is a UKHA team at Grid.org.
>
> Grid.org is a "virtual supercomputer" that allows many
desktop PCs,
> operated by volunteers. Members download a small piece of software
> that runs in the background, and performs intensive computational
> tasks, uploading the results to the "mothership"
periodically (every
> day or so, on average.)
>
> Since its formation in January 2003, team UKHA has donated over 32
> CPU-years in processing power to research across the various
grid.org
> projects.
>
> Grid.org is operated by United Devices, a US Organisation, and has
> made the "virtual supercomputer" available to several
projects.

> The project in which my PCs are participating is part of a cancer
> research project sponsored by the University of Oxford.
>
> Grid.org is, however, not without controversy. During GW2, some
> projects carried out research that related to bio-warfare, in a
> project sponsored by the US Government. Some, including some
UKHAers,
> found this to be distasteful, and withdrew from the project at this
> point. There are other alternatives to Grid.org that other members
of
> UKHA support.
>
> However, if you are already a Grid.org member, then please consider
> joining the team "UKHA".
>
> If you are not a Grid.org member, then this is something you might
> like to consider. Please consider donating your "unused CPU
time"
to,