RE: Buying a NAS am I doing the right thing?

  • Subject: RE: Buying a NAS am I doing the right thing?
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ianlowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 09:28:41 -0000

I have been torn back and forward, back and forward on the whole NAS
vs
General Purpose Server thing - I keep convincing myself to go NAS, then
find
myself spending most of the time looking at the various mods that will
allow
me to run other stuff on it.

Which always makes me think that I would be better using a general server
in
the first place - but I like the idea of stability and so on.

In the end, I went for a full on compromise this time around - I wanted to
retire my old NT4 server (it started crashing, and I guess the ole mobo is
on it's last legs), and also upgrade the kitchen PC - I ended up moving my
RocketRaid controller across to the Kitchen PC, so it now has about .8Tb of
space. That's doing the trick just fine on Windows XP!

I am sure the Terastation would be a good buy, and that seems like a
stonking price. I'm just not convinced that it's the best option.

*    Ian.