RE: [OT] Large Button Remote Control ??

  • Subject: RE: [OT] Large Button Remote Control ??
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 11:14:05 -0000

I am interested in this as well.

At the weekend I installed a freeview box for my 73 year old Mum and she is
having problems reading the tiny  buttons but I have discovered a bigger
problem.

Because Freeview has mixed 1,2 and 3 digit channel numbering I believe that
a lot of people will have problems selecting the correct channels because
they cant enter the channel number quickly enough.

EG 71 for Cbeebies you end up with BBC1 because it takes the recieved
commands as

7 BBC3

1 BBC1

I personally have 3 freeview boxes all different brands but none have them
have the ability to be configured  for fixed length numbers eg 001 rather
than 1. I have problems changing channels sometimes and I consider myself
be VERY familiar with all my remote controls.

At the moment people have a choice of having freeview or not but shortly
there will be million of people forced to change and for many I believe the
process will be very traumatic.

One of my big gripes is that now Freeview boxes are so cheap, nowhere
actually has any set up on demonstration, you just pick up a box and take
it
to the checkout. Thats fine for a tin of beans because all you have to do
is
open the can and cook the contents but with something techie, particularly
if it for an older person, you really need to be able to see how simple or
complicated it is to operate :(

Keith