RE: Re: Cat5e and rg6 for newbuild

  • Subject: RE: Re: Cat5e and rg6 for newbuild
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 22:54:49 -0000

> Thanks for that, thats exactly what I was looking for, no
> point in paying a load more if the cheaper one is fine.
> Thanks also for the heads up on the ct125 beign hard to work
> with if its not needed.

I wanted to use CT125 for the short run from the aerial to the loft as
that's an easy run to get it through to and it's the only run that I
couldn't get to myself. (Me, ladders and gravity don't mix - I'm a *BIG*
fella!) I tried *NINE* local aerial installers before I found one that both
knew what CT125 was *AND* was happy to work with it. The only reason I
wanted to use CT125 was because my terrestrial signal is pitifully weak and
aerial amps are no bloody use whatsoever if you are starting out with a
weak
signal that has a poor signal to noise ratio.

> Why do so many people talk about rg6?

Because it's what most people know in the way of coax cabling ... And many
crimp type connectors are designed for RG6 cable dimensions.

I use CT100 / PF100 cable, make up my own patch leads using it and decent
all-aluminium connectors and solder the centre core to the centre pin and
they work *BLOODY WELL*.

Phil