RE: Re: Cat5e and rg6 for newbuild

  • Subject: RE: Re: Cat5e and rg6 for newbuild
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 15:50:18 -0000

Can I break the habits of a lifetime and be the voice of reason here and
point out that the "performance" of any cable which is certified
as
complying to the CAT5e standard will be the same no matter what price it is
- because the kit you'll be using it with will also be designed to adhere
t=
the capabilities of CAT5e...

...now, whether you want *ADDITIONAL* "features" such as an outer
sheath
that is certified as being mains rated, stranded core over solid core or a
veritable rainbow of sheathing colours is up to you as to whether you
consider the additional cost worthwhile.

If you *NEED* better performing cable then CAT5e (for whatever reasons)
the=
use whatever cabling you actually *NEED* to use. I'm pretty sure that all
CAT5e has to be tested to 350MHz as I'm sure that's part of the standard.
I=
there's a CAT5e cable that is tested beyond that but costs twice as much
then what's the point of paying the extra for that when you're never going
to use it (as the kit you'll be using on it will be tested for use with
"standard" CAT5e).

Surely you'd be better making sure that your cabling is properly terminated
and the cables aren't subjected to too tight a bend radius or too great a
pulling force when installed which seem to be far easier ways to screw up
a=
install than worrying whether one CAT5e cable is better than another?

As for the choice between CT100 and CT125 then CT100 should be more than
adequate for any uses as long as your signals are any kind of a reasonable
quality - if they're not then don't fanny about and just get a good local
aerial installer to get you a decent and clean source signal sorted out.

CT125 by the way is an absolute b*st*rd to work with - it's thick, stiff
an=
getting it back into a standard UK backbox behind an F-connector plate or a
UHF outlet is nigh on bloody impossible. I live in a *REALLY* bad reception
area for terrestrial analogue and digital and the only CT125 that I'm using
is in the run down from the aerial into the loft where it hits a splitter -
everywhere else is CT100 or PF100. There really should be no reason to
subject yourself to the pain of installing and termninating CT125 in any
domestic RF install.

As usual - just my =A30.02 worth and please feel free to shoot me down in
flames if you think one brand of CAT5e certified cabling is better or worse
performing than another ... However I'll expect you to provide supporting
proof that the cable itself is batter / worse than the standard and not
tha=
any problems have been due to incorrect termination or installation...

Phil

wrote:

> > > What quality cat5 should I go for in my newbuild? How about
this=20
> > > ,http://www.platinumhome.ie/shop/product_info.php?
> > > cPath=3D95_99&products_id=3D414   or is it too good? I
like the fact=
=20
> that=20
> > > it comes in several colours,
> > >=20
> > > Is it best to go for rg6 or will the likes of ct100 or ct125
be
> ok?
> > >=20
> > > Any sugestions or links to good suppliers would be great
> > >=20
> > > Thanks
> > > Dave
> > >

>=20