RE: Re: Which NAS Box?

  • Subject: RE: Re: Which NAS Box?
  • From: "K. C. Li" <li@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 10:37:18 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 16 May 2006, Phil Harris wrote:

> herring too ... You only really need to have firmware updates if there
are
> bugs found that need fixing - the Terastation seems pretty damn solid
and a
> lot of people are finding the fact that it runs Linux to be damn
useful.

Indeed. But there were a number of firmware releases for the Terastation.

http://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads-product.php

The Japanese Buffalo website is best for the latest but the site is in
Japanese, although the firmware works fine in non-Japanese Terastations:

http://buffalo.melcoinc.co.jp/download/driver/hd/hd-htgl.html

More about the various firmware releases:

http://www.terastation.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.trejan.com/projects/tera/firmware.html

> For example I know someone who is running SlimServer on it and also
> that the server side software for the Momitsu network attached DVD
> players can be run on the unit too. Add in to that that (on the same

Our 1TB Terastation, with 4 300GB USB2 external disks attached, has around
2TB of films and MP3 loaded and has been hacked to have a full C
development system loaded for running other open source software. The
unit, like most Linux based systems, has proved to be highly stable and
relatively quiet.

Regards,

Kwong Li
li@xxxxxxx