RE: Re: Which NAS Box?

  • Subject: RE: Re: Which NAS Box?
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 09:49:28 +0100

> Looks an interesting alternative to the Buffalo, which the=20
> reports of slow transfer and no firmware upgrades have put me off.

The Buffalo Terastation isn't the fastest machine in the world but it's
mor=
than fast enough for the use that we're likely to be putting it to ...
Certainly it's capable of streaming several DVD bitrate movies
simultaneously and the "no firmware updates" thing is also a bit
of a red
herring too ... You only really need to have firmware updates if there are
bugs found that need fixing - the Terastation seems pretty damn solid and a
lot of people are finding the fact that it runs Linux to be damn useful.

For example I know someone who is running SlimServer on it and also that
th=
server side software for the Momitsu network attached DVD players can be
ru=
on the unit too. Add in to that that (on the same Terrastation) I've seen
scripts being run which do mapping and symbolic linking of files across
multiple drives into a single virtual folder which is really handy and the
Terastation is really quite a potent bit of kit.

I was talking with someone the other day about how feasible it is to add in
USB hub support so that the 4 external drive limit on the Terastation could
be lifted and that would open up the possibility of some really serious
storage capacity on those units!

Phil