Re: RE: OT: Halogen spotlights for bathroom

>From memory the area behind the bath panel is not zoned provided,
as
you state, you need tools to get to the space. Another option you may
with to consider, instead of an IP65 socket, is a plain IP65 junction
box and just hard-wire the cable into it through an IP65 cable gland,
perhaps with a double-pole isolator outside the room. From what I
recall the sockets are quite pricey and you're probably not going to
need to plug/unplug the pump very often, so convenience is maybe less
of a concern.

Just to make another point re: the original question...shouldn't you
only use a light that has "approved for use in zone x" on the
label?
regardless of whether it is 12V or whatever?

HTH,

Tim.

On 5/9/06, Marcus Warrington <marcusw@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Andy,
>
> My understanding is that it would HAVE to be IP44 or above, the RCD
shouldn't be treated as primary form of protection. Personally I've ran
IP55 12volt halogens in the bathroom, they give a nicer light and are
safer.

> I am currently installing a new bathroom and have a whirlpool bath to
install. This runs of a normal 3 pin plug 240v and I am not sure how this
should be wired up.. i.e. if I run 240v to a socket under bath (that is on
its own RCD protected spur) and not accessible without removing the bath
panel then is that OK? I am thinking of actually using an external IP65
rated socket enclosure as a double precaution. It sound OK to me but am
concerned that it might not be acceptable if I ever sell the house..

> Always make me smile that when you go on holiday (Spain, France etc)
they have light switches and even sockets in their bathrooms..