Re: Anyone UPS's Home Cinema stuff

On 08/05/06, Dean Barrett <dean@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Due to increasingly regular powercuts in our village (the last one
knacke=
red
> my HTPC) - i was thinking about putting a UPS on DVD/Sky+/Amp/HTPC
setup.

Good idea :)

> Is anyone doing the same - if so what size UPS does the job.

Yes, sort of - I have a 650VA UPS powering the TiVo and freeview box,
but the TV, amp and xbox are all non-UPS.

I originally had this setup when we lived in the caravan for 8 months
while we built our house, so that after I turned the generator off the
TiVo would continue to record for about 30 minutes. The 650VA ups is
relatively small, and only powers the 2 items for so long because they
hardly draw any power.

> I'm just thinking of about 15 mins of uptime which will usually
overcome =
the
> worst outages - but makes sure everything is in sync when SWMBO next
goes=
> use it all :)

You probably need a bigger ups, although if your TV is off the drain
will be significantly less

UPS's are a lot cheaper than they were when I bought mine, there is
really no excuse for not having one anymore, especially when you think
of the money (and heartache) you could save...

HTH

Simon