Re: Media centre options?

  • Subject: Re: Media centre options?
  • From: "noughtomate" <bjassal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:38:33 -0000

I'm familiar with XP MCE.

If you were to consider buying one of these (although personally I=20
would wait till Intel Viiv technology is established and Vista is=20
out), you could use one of your legacy PC's as a Media server.

There's a utility available on thegreenbutton.com / downloads (I=20
think) where you can automatically copy your recorded content to=20
your network drive. Nothing cutting edge, but it works well.=20

If you don't want to use shared storage, you could also use Extender=20
technology to your Xbox, although this may require a few hacks to=20
get DivX to work. I think M$ only support WMV and MPEG2 over an=20
Extender.

If instead you want to hack your existing PC's to be MCE=20
compatibile, you may run into problems as M$ are increasingly=20
imposing certification on hardware components. i.e. Your tuner would=20
have to be model xyz etc...=20

Have you looked at Meedio or Myth TV ?

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gale" <groups@...> wrote:

> I'm just trying to work out what the best route is for a shared=20
whole-house media centre solution for me. I have some thoughts but=20
wanted some other thinking!
>=20
> I currently have:
>=20
> Xbox with XBMC
> Xbox 360 =96 standard software
> Apple Mac mini =96 with that media software (can't remember the name)
> An older (1GHz?) shuttle PC in the AV room (limited expansion for=20
tuners etc) linked via VGA to plasma.
> Sky+ and Sky boxes in node0
>=20
> I've used all of these solutions with varying degrees of success.=20
The Mac Mini is just too slow and the software is not fully featured=20
enough.
>=20
> I'd like to rip a small number of DVD's and make these available=20
along with all TV shows downloaded (DivX AVI format normally) to all=20
and any TV's around the house. I have an Extron video matrix=20
switcher and Kat5 infrastructure, so getting the signal around is=20
already possible. I also have IR distribution, so remote control is=20
also sorted (providing the hardware solution supports it).
>=20
> What are my options hard/software wise that will do both of these=20
things? I don't particularly want to have to spend lots of time=20
programming screens, so Main/XLobby etc are probably not an option.