Re: Re: Distant powering using device local control (difficult to describe!)

A wall-wart is simply one of these:
http://www.eclats-antivols.fr/modules/Boutique/itmfull/T200.jpg
(apologies for the French site - it's the quickest one I found with
the best picture)

Relays are these things:
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/relay.htm

And Ian posted the link to the neat current sensor for Comfort, it's a
nice solution and would seem to fit your requirement.

What's thw wireless bridge connected to?
Can you use it's connected device to turn it on & off? Although your
original plan for X10 was fine in theory (i.e. having Comfort turn it
on/off).

One a side note, can I ask what you think of your Synology box...a
friend was looking at them but couldn't find much user feedback.

HTH,

Tim.

wrote:

> > Replied at the bottom:-)
> > On 3/21/06, noughtomate <balraj_jassal@...> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > (A lengthy read, but your patience is appreciated!)
> > >
> > > I've got a dilemma here, which I don't think can necessarily
be
> > > solved using X10.
> > >
> > > I have three devices (say A, B, and C) which I want to ALL
power
> on
> > > using the device A's actual local device power switch. I
could
> > > choose to leave all the devices permanetly on, but I'm
trying to
> be
> > > eco-friendly and keep my power consumption down!
> > >
> > > Here's the situation :
> > >  - Device A and B are located next to each other.
> > >  - Device C is situated away from Devices A and B. I want
this
> to be
> > > powered on when devices A and B are on
> > >  - Device A should only really be powered on using local
> control, as
> > > opposed to mains power control (i.e. X10 is not an option)
> > >  - I have a Comfort alarm/HA system, which could be
harnessed to
> > > implement this solution
> > >
> > > The only way I can think of doing this is :
> > >  - A is plugged into the Master socket of a Master/Slave
multi-
> socket
> > >  - B is plugged into the Slave socket of the Master/Slave
> multisocket
> >
> > Now instead of an X10 module plugged in for device C, plug in a
low
> > voltage, low current wall-wart and wire the output to the coil of
> > relay. When A comes on and B is turned on, the wall wart will be
> > turned on too. That closes the contact on the relay whcih you can
> then
> > wire to Comfort. When Comfort sees the contact closed it can then
> > issue the "on" signal as before.
> >
> > If you don't think X10 is reliable enough for the "send from
> Comfort"
> > to be received you could direct wire the contact side of the
relay
> > a mains socket to switch the power directly for device C. If you
do
> > this then check component rating carefully for compatibility, and
> > running the 12V a long distance is probabably safer than wiring
> mains
> > back to the lcoation of devices A+B (I hope that bit made sense).
> >
> > There's all sorts of other permutations possible depending on
what
> > other hardware and software you have (e.g. NetIOM, WebBrick, xAP,
> xPL
> > etc.) but how does that sound for starters?
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > Tim.
> > (p.s. is device C a wireless access point? if so, and if you
> already
> > have Cat5 from device A/B to C then think about using a
> > power-over-ethernet kit, either a "proper" one or DIY
version to