Latest message you have seen: Re: unRaid - Media storage server solution

110V equpipment with IEC sockets - How to protect against UK 240V mains

  • Subject: 110V equpipment with IEC sockets - How to protect against UK 240V mains
  • From: Kevin Hawkins <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:25:36 +0000

I have a few pieces of kit that work on US 110V - that I have sourced
via eBay.  I have a 110V supply here and all works fine. However the
sockets on the back of the equipment are standard IEC (kettle lead)
style and I just know at some stage I will plug a 240V lead into one of
them by mistake.  Has anyone any ideas how to protect against this ?  I
was hoping I might be able to source some mechanically different sockets
that I could swap with the equipment mounted ones that might prevent me
plugging a 240V lead in. (Perhaps by having rotated  pins through 90
degrees or a centre peg and matching leads or something similar ....  )
. Hopefully they might panel mount the same.

I suppose I could attach fixed leads with US style plugs as a last
resort or something ...

Kevin