Re: Tax Rebate for Green Households

I had my cavity walls done under a similar scheme a few years ago and
paid around 170quid, which was something like 60% of the total cost.
Since it saved me at least 100 quid off my next winter-quarter's gas
bill I figured it was worth it ;-)

I didn't qualify for a loft insulation grant as I already had 4" up
there. About 6 months later I spent 200 quid at B&Q & did it myself
(I
added 8" on top of the existing 4").

So even your revised price looks good (depends on your house size of
course) and the loft insulation...well it depends on how much extra
they're going to add.

I won't hold my breath for a council tax reduction for me though :-((

HTH,

Tim.

On 3/14/06, Mark Golledge <markgolledge@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm certainly interested in this - we've just moved into a house with
> 1/2 inch loft insulation and no cavity wall insulation.
>
> Got a quote done before Christmas which came back as:
>
> =A3130.00 loft insulation
> =A3130.00 cavity wall insulation
>
> They'd had some problems getting funding because apparently national
> companies aren't putting the money into the grant pot that makes it
> cheaper. Accordingly, I got a phone call from them yesterday to say
> the prices are now:
>
> =A3280.00 loft insulation
> =A3180.00 cavity wall insulation
>
> I'd be interested in finding out how much British Gas are charging for
> theirs!!??!! Shame our local Council (Chelmsford) isn't yet signed up!
>

> On 14/03/06, Keith Doxey <ukha@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Of
> > > Gareth Cook
> > > Subject: [ukha_d] Tax Rebate for Green Households
> > >

> > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4800726.stm
> > >

> > I was annoyed when I saw this story....
> >
> > "Almost one million householders could be in line for up to
?100 off th=
eir
> > council tax if they install energy-saving fixtures....A
home-owner must
> > install subsidised cavity wall insulation through British Gas
before th=
ey
> > can apply for the council tax reduction."
> >
> > 1. There are a lot of people who already have cavity wall
insulation so
> > would be excluded from the "offer"
> >
> > 2. There are a lot of people in older properties (me included)
who have
> > solid walls with no cavity so how the hell can we fill a non
existant v=
oid
> > with insulation ???
> >
> > 3. Council tax is worked out on the amount of money that a
council need=
s to
> > operate its services for the year. If people adopting the scheme
get th=
eirs
> > ?100 less than those who are not eligable then the people not
eligable=
will
> > have to pay extra to ensure the council still gets their money. A
bit l=
ike
> > how they add a chunk of money to all bills to cover those who
dont pay.=
Ok
> > we got the mugs how will pay.....  now lets make thewm pay for
those wh=