Latest message you have seen: Re: unRaid - Media storage server solution

How to use an X10 dimmer switch with a motion sensor?

  • Subject: How to use an X10 dimmer switch with a motion sensor?
  • From: "Jonathan Doig" <Jonathan.Doig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 22:01:10 +1100

Hi all

I'm an X10 newbie, speccing electricals for our new house and would like
to use X10 to control lights from a remote and later on from an Ocelot
or similar.

I plan to use a standard (non-X10) motion sensor, because I haven't
found a wired X10 one and I want it 360 degree ceiling mounted anyway,
which I have available locally.

Then I want a simple-looking wall switch like the Advanced Control
Technologies TK334 (as long as it can run on 240V not 277??) and have it
work as follows:

* Touch ON: light goes on when motion sensor detects movement
* Touch ON again: light goes on regardless (motion sensor override)
* Touch OFF: light goes back onto motion sensor mode
* Touch OFF again: light goes off altogether

as well as:

* press-and-hold-ON: bright
* press-and-hold-OFF: dim

How can I do this? Is there a nice-looking (Decora or otherwise) wall
switch that can control two X10 addresses with one or two taps? Or could
I use the TK334 or similar, but with some macro-capable controller?

TIA
Jonathan

PS Apologies for cross-posting to several HA lists, but I'm up against a
tight deadline to sort this out before the builders plaster our walls in
for good (reminds me of an Edgar Allan Poe story...)
confidential/privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient,
please delete it and notify the sender.
Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are
not necessarily the views of the Department.

You should scan any attached files for viruses.