Re: [OT] using a neighbours wireless AP - security

On 09/03/2006 at 12:53 Paul Gale wrote:

>A friend of mine uses a neighbours wireless AP without permission.
Apart
>from this being potentially illegal???, what steps should be taken to
>protect his PC (I guess network browsing is fully allowed unless he
>restricts access via a s/w firewall?).
>
>Cheers,
>
>Paul.

Not only that, but of course if the person who owns the wireless kit knows
what they're doing they can grab your friend's pop3 passwords etc just by
sniffing the traffic. Plus, since your friend is probably using DHCP to get
an
IP, gateways DNS etc, all the DNS information is potentially compromised.
(s)he is also a potential target to arp spoof attacks etc... So the key is
'don't do anything on this link that requires any security at all',  no
mail,
no msn,no icq, no nothing.. not really worth it...

My advice would be 'Don't do it' simply for security reasons.

Andy