RE: [OT] Removing scratches from carbon fibre?

  • Subject: RE: [OT] Removing scratches from carbon fibre?
  • From: "Rob Mouser" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 07:45:40 -0000

> & dry, then use a resin to polish them. The wet & dry bit
im happy
with
> (they are only surface scratches) but I'm getting really stuck when it
> comes
> to the polishing/resin bit.

We do an awful lot of plastic polishing but I must say my knowledge
doesn't extend to carbon fibre as you don't find to much of that it
modern house building! :-)
However, I would try some course compound. Something like Farecla G3
paste as a starter. If that works you can then finish off just using a
standard quality car polish such as Autoglym.
You say that they are surface scratches? If they are reasonably light I
would advise not going below 1500g w&d (in fact I would start at 2000g
and see if that's sufficient) and make sure you use it wet with very
soapy water.
I would also avoid too much heat initially which means no mops and
electric polishers! You cant beat a bit of good old fashioned muscle
when it comes to getting controlled results :-)
When I get to the office this avo I'll ask one of our techy guys if they
would advise anything different.

HTH

Rob