Latest message you have seen: RE: [OT?] NTL Broadband

RE: TV licensing legality of a SlingBox ??

  • Subject: RE: TV licensing legality of a SlingBox ??
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 22:28:54 +0100

> Well, IANAL, but we had this exact same debate at work a couple
of days
> ago, and from all the links and references posted, it appears that a
> licence is required for any device displaying a TV program - not just
> traditional receiver.

My understanding is that if you have the ability to receive and view
television programs then you should have a licence. Its basically
"just
another tax" that almost everyone has to pay as there are very few
people
who genuinely DONT have a TV.

If you purchase a device whos primary purpose is the reception of TV
programs eg Tuner card, Freeview box, Television etc then the retailer has
to notify the licencing authorities. (Not that you have to prove the
address
you give is valid!!!!)

The TV licence database contains every address in the UK and whether or not
it has a valid licence. The addresses they tend to check up on are those
identified as not having a valid licence. If the address doesnt have any
equipment that would require a licence then they enter that on the computer
and probably recheck every so often.

If an address is submitted by a retailer and the records show no valid
licence they will then become interested.

The adverts with the TV detector vans used to make me laugh. About 25 years
ago when "Post Office Telecommunications" still had
responsibility for radio
interference investigation, I did some overtime driving a TV Detector Van.

What a pile of crap that was.... a pale blue "J" reg Commer van
(1970/71
vintage) and none of the equipment worked. Even the manual windscreen
washer
press broke when I tried to clear the windscreen!!! We visited several
houses all of which were identifed as not having a licence from the
records.
Every single one of them had a TV.

Regarding the comments made about companies being liable to a fine if
employees watched TV via the internet, I would expect that the majority of
larger companies already have (or SHOULD have) a licence as many of them
will have a TV and video that they use for training purposes which gives
them the ability to view TV thereby making a licence neccessary.

Keith