Re: [OT] HD LCD TV - 26" recommendations?

But what is "properly"?  Surely everyone's perception of
sound and video
is subjective.  I just set things up so they look and sound best to me -
I'm quite sure if someone came in with a load of fancy gear they would
set it up differently, but I might not like the end result!

I tend to reduce the contrast, color and bass - most things come with
far too saturated colours and booming bass for my liking.

Mal

Chris Hunter wrote:

> Not only TVs, I guess ... 'must say I used to fall for it too ...
'read
> the reviews in the sources I trusted (for hi-fi it was HFN&RR
& the two
> leading German magazines), made my choice, and looked for the cheapest
> offer ! ... daft ! Then again, how does one find someone who can do it
> properly ? For most things, that's really not an easy one to solve !
>
> Chris
>
> Keith Doxey wrote:
>
> > > From: Chris Hunter [mailto:cjhunter@xxxxxxx
> <mailto:cjhunter%40dircon.co.uk>
> > <mailto:cjhunter%40dircon.co.uk>]
> > >
> > > Very odd , this ... if it takes that sort of tweaking, what
does the
> > > average purchaser end up with ?

tweaking a few

> > The "average" purchaser ends up with exactly what thay
paid for....

> > a TV in a box from a box shifter.
> >
> > Before the advent of the box shifters, TVs were more expensive
but you
> > bought them from a proper "TV Dealer" who knew exactly
what they were
> > selling. Once you decided on the TV you wanted you would go home.
The
> > dealer
> > would then turn up in a van and install your TV for you ensuring
it was
> > properly set up and they would also show you how to operate it.
> >
> > If you can still find a TV dealer then you can still do that but
the
> price
> > will be higher than the same TV from Comet etc.
> >
> > Alternatively you can take the other option suggested by Phil and
> pay for
> > someone to set it up properly after you have taken it home.
> >
> > Most people have TVs and surround sound systems that are nowhere
near
> > properly set up. Just look how often you see a stereo system with
the
> > speakers about 2 feet apart because it looks "pretty"
!!!!