Re: HTPC - what card?

If you're playing back only, then you don't need any of the WinTV etc
cards - just a regular PC graphics card with a suitable output.

You don't need to go high-end with the graphics card - there's no 3D
after all. I use a Gigabyte Geforce 6600 - it's fanless (massive heat
sinks and heat pipes!) so it is silent, works very nicely with Nvidia's
excellent PureVideo codec, but only has VGA and DVI outputs. Perhaps an
adaptor would be a possible solution for distribution?

Mal

Paul Gale wrote:

>I?m thinking about putting together a MythTV based HTPC ? but not for
recording ? file playback only. My Sky HD box will do all the recording I
need (arrives tomorrow).

>Any suggestions as to video/accelerator card I should go for? Hauppauge
WinTV PVR 250 seems to be recommended a lot ? is this still a good card to
go for for what I need?

>Oh, and I want good composite out (for distribution to all TV?s around
the house via my Kat5/Extron switcher combo).