Latest message you have seen: V2 Media Center Extenders native support of Divx

Re: MCE 2005 Sound Card Suggestions Wanted

  • Subject: Re: MCE 2005 Sound Card Suggestions Wanted
  • From: "Mal Lansell" <mal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 20:27:29 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "David Harris" <dh140770@...>
wrote:

> None of the soundblaster cards seem to have spdif

But they do.  I have a Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS in my Media Center
PC and that has spdif output.  It's an electronic output rather than
optical (which is a bit annoying since my amp has optical inputs so
I needed a converter), but in the end it's just digital data so it
makes no difference to the quality.

On another note, I'm wondering what has happened with multi-channel
sound - my home cinema amp is 6.1, but the only movies I have out of
a collection of nearly 400 that have a 6.1 soundtrack (all the rest
are 5.1 or less) are The Lord of the Rings extended editions.

I went to buy a replacement when DVD playback started going wrong,
but all the systems available now seem to be 5.1

It seems like the move to 6.1 and 7.1 just never happened.

Mal