Latest message you have seen: Fw: TiVo About to Re-launch in the UK

RE: Lots of advice needed on new HA server setup

Hi Paul, I'll answer a couple but I'm no expert when it comes to PC's,
OS's etc!

> 1) What OS's would you use on the HA Server and Geovision PC and why?

I guess a big part of this answer would normally be cost. But I'm assuming
this is not an issue ;-)
My Geovision PC has been running 24/7 for a fair few months on XP without
missing a beat, so if it works why break it.

> 2) What hardware spec would you use on the main server and HA server?

Not a flippin clue! Mine is a P4 1.7 with 1gig and quite happily runs 24/7
with Win2k3 and Exchange.

> 3) Are there any rack cases that:
>    a) look good - aesthetics will be important
>    b) are quiet and allow good airflow
>    c) don't cost a fortune

I reckon you'll really struggle here. But I guess aesethetics are a
personal thing. My three PC's in the rack are in Silverstone desktop HTPC
cases (http://linitx.com/product_info.php?cPath=8_71&products_id=476)
sat on sliding shevles. They look good, are v.quiet and do the job well.
Now I realise that you probably want a shed load of storage......Well buy a
Terrastation instead :-)

Rob