RE: New HA server and business server strategy?

  • Subject: RE: New HA server and business server strategy?
  • From: "Nigel Giddings" <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 10:45:14 +0100

Paul,

I started with the philosophy of separate machines from the get go...

I have MS Small Business Server (Exch, AD, IIS etc) on a separate machine
f=
rom the HA stuff. To be honest in a domestic environment you don't need a
h=
igh end PC for SBS. HW reliability was more important for me so I went for
=
RAID5, Dual PSU and generally commercial grade server chassis...

I also used the same H/W (different box) for Homeseer (HA) but as you say
t=
his is more process hungry, delayed actions are more noticeable on HA
funct=
ion IMHO. I went with resilient H/W because it seemed necessary, however,
I=
am trying to ensure all the house systems can run autonomously albeit with=
out the added functions/integration provided by Homeseer. With this in
mind=
maybe a less resilient high specification machine would be more suitable? =
Commercial boxes don't tend to support sound cards, extended IO and USB?

I have also dabbled with *@H (Asterisk) and because it's Linux it had to
be=
a completely separate PC....

My CCTV also has a dedicated PC...

I also have a dedicated PC (eventually there will be 2) to drive XLobby
wit=
h multiple soundcards... Maybe this PC could be shutdown/hibernate when
the=
house is unoccupied under the control of Homeseer?

It would be very interesting to see a study on Power consumption for the
va=
rious PC strategies... Would an all singing all dancing PC running VM or a
=
blade server chassis actually use less power than several lower specified
m=
achines?

Not much help but an interesting subject

Nigel