Re: [OT] Broadband Backup

  • Subject: Re: [OT] Broadband Backup
  • From: "patrick_o_matic" <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 14:45:37 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Keith Doxey" <ukha@...> wrote:

> Hi Patick
>
> > It may be possible to have a second BT line installed on an
adjacent
> > exchange. I had two separate lines on two different exchanges at
my
> > last house - this is obviously easier to organise in metropolitan
> > environments, or in situations where one exchange is close to
capacity.

> Being fed from more than one exchange is VERY rare.
>
> Unless you were right on the edge of an exchange area and the next
door
> neighbour was in a difernet area, the underground cabling wouldnt
exist to
> facilitate it.
>
> Are you sure you werent just on two different number ranges withing
the same
> physical exchange building ?

Yup, absolutely certain. In my case I was equadistant from two
exchanges, and there was no capacity available between the nearest
manhole and my current exchange. The main run to the alternative
exchange terminated in the next street, and was extended to provide my
second connection. The engineers who undertook this work gave the
impression that this wasn't an uncommon occurrence, but I guess
perhaps this actually isn't the case afterall, or perhaps it is/was
just a regular issue in my bit of London?

Patrick