RE: Skylink Problem

  • Subject: RE: Skylink Problem
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 09:15:09 +0100

Hi Nigel,

I suspect you may have a fault with the actual SKYLINK.

Power for the system comes from the Digibox and is fed over the coax. I am
99.9% certain that the "TV end" of a Skylink should block this DC
from
reaching the TV but it seems that for some reason it isnt. (cant find my
one
at the moment to prove this!)

Disconnect it from the TV and using a multimeter check for a voltage
between
the centre and sheild of the Coax plug that goes in the TV. If you see
about
9V then the Skylink is probably faulty.

The reason it doesnt work with one set but does with another is probably
downto how the areial input is designed. It should be terminated in a
nominal 75ohm load but this may be after an isolation capacitor in the set
that works whereas in the TV that doesnt work it may be directly across the
input. If Skylink was feeding power through then it would see this as a
partial short circuit and the digibox power feed would shut down.

HTH

Keith