ARRGHH I thought this was suposed to be simple!

  • Subject: ARRGHH I thought this was suposed to be simple!
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:49:42 +0100

I'm sick up to my back teeth of these poxy effing XBOX modchip
installs.

I like to think I'm not totally rubbish at following instructions and
doing reasonably good soldering....

But try as I might, I can't get this poxy thing to work properly...

First I tried to use the solderless adapter. - That worked for a while,
but the adapter is rubbish, the screw provided can't get enough
"purchase" to keep the adapter nice & tight on the board, and
so the
whole thing was unreliable. - it would always work while I had the lid
off, then as soon as I reassembled everything and connected it up to the
TV the connection would have failed again, and left it back in unmodded
state. - VERY annoying. - I tried various means to improve the
connection, including packing some foam above the modchip so that the
bottom of the CD drive would press down on it from above & apply
pressure to keep it connected, and in the end I even tried using
superglue under the plastic part of the adapter. - that didn't work
either, and now it can't be removed, so scratch one xbox...

I've given up on the idea of the solderless adapter in disgust, since it
is patently shite.

2nd Xbox, - now trying the pin header method. - followed the
instructions to the letter (even though 2 sets of instructions conflict
with each other). - and nada. - power up the box with the chip
installed, it starts and stops a couple of times (fans spin up for about
a second each time), then it starts running, but the front LED just
alternates between flashing red & green, and nothing comes on the
screen...

I've double and triple checked the solder points, - I definitely have
the correct 3 locations, and I'm pretty sure the joints are OK... the
only one I found even mildly tricky was the grey wire on the D0 point

It would be helpful if the ***ing instructions were right... - but one
set says to remove pin 6 from the header, whereas another says to leave
it in place (this is a v1.0 xbox). - I've tried it both ways, and
neither makes it work... - anyone know what the *definitive* correct
option is for an xecuter 2.6 in a v1.0 Xbox? - could I have fried the
modchip by trying it both ways?

Totally fed up... :-(

Paul G.