Latest message you have seen: Enroute to building a decent PVR : Are dvb-t cards any good ?

Re: Putting it all together and XAp in a box ??????

  • Subject: Re: Putting it all together and XAp in a box ??????
  • From: "Mark Walker" <davros@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 21:28:00 -0000

Hi
Thanks for that.
I like the idea of the serial port control and after doing a quick
search it looks like most of my stuff can be done, Yamaha Amp, DVD
and CD jukeboxes, Sky box etc.
However how would you then interface to them, Say you used a solid
state PC or any stable PC. You still have to get the commands into
that, IR is out as thats what we want rid of, I wouldnt want to use
a PC keyboard, I wouldnt really want a PC in each room that I would
want to watch a DVD in. So are we talking hard wired Touch screens
or is there something else.

Regards
Mark
--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Kevin Hawkins <lists@u...> wrote:

> I think most people creating their own HA setups are in similar
> situations - it seems there really isn't an embedded controller
solution
> with sufficient capability available at a reasonable cost .
HomeVision
> has held the low/mid ground for a long while and is an excellent
piece
> of kit but when you need to expand beyond that there seems to be a
> void.  HomeBrain was sort of aiming at this but never
materialised.  AMX
> and Crestron type boxes certainly have the capability but both
these
> companies are out of the typical budget range (particularly the
touch
> screens) and are really still dealer install only, both companies
having
> both removed the programming software/updates  from 'end user'
> availability.  This decision is a nightmare when you have users
who are
> more capable than their dealers.  Or there's the PC..and Linux is
surely
> a preferable platform to Windows but seems to lack the HA tools.
>
> Anyone any other suggestions for embedded HA controllers - rock
solid -
> affordable - large capable 'easy to use' script language - lots of
> expandable I/O including Ethernet,   touchscreen interaction ?
>
> Reading below, one thing I would suggest Mark is to remove IR as a
> control dependence wherever you can. It is always going to be a
weak
> link  because of it's very nature ...., may or may not be
received,
> isn't two way, often uses 'toggle/select' functions rather than
discrete
> codes , steps can get lost in macros and also particularly because
you
> are constantly  faced with having to track and model 'assumed'
state
> information to decide what needs changing. If there is a
possibility of
> using serial wired links , wired switch inputs/outputs or IP then
go for
> it as these are almost guaranteed delivery and provide two way
> communication.   I'm sure as an automation engineer you've seen
these
> issues every day.
>
> Likely you'll want some 'remote' of course and two way devices are
> expensive but RF can help a lot, as can a rock solid TX to RX IR
setup
> with the 'smarts' being done based on a single received command
(not
> macros in the IR remote) - and converted to hard wired control
actions
> and two way communication with the equipment, all  actioned by the
> (embedded) controller.
>
> Amazingly on some devices the most frequent IR toggle is a power
ONOFF
> [...]
> frequent 'press n times for S-Video' type of toggle nightmare, if
you
> have auto Scart selection say this can be unworkable.  I'm finding
that
> code to be 'foolproof' in operation is  many times larger than the
code
> to achieve the task in the first place, and hence tends not to be
done :-(

> Mark Walker wrote:
> > Hi Kevin
> > I see your point and I guess I was a bit vague.
> > But I always seem to go around in circles, with different bits
of kit
> > and different bits of software. you always seem to end up with
one
> > bit of software that does 80% of what you want and then you may
have
> > to buy several other packages to make up the other 20%.
> >
> > I am an Automation Engineer in Industry, so shouldnt have a
problem
> > getting to grips with the scripts etc.
> >
> > I guess I am just looking at an easier way to control stuff
without
> > having to buy lots of bits that may or may not work together and
may
> > have other problems like a crash, which if I wasnt there the
wife
> > would have no chance of sorting out. So the solid state option
sounds
> > great. Thats why individually each system on its own works well
and
> > does what it should. The Cbus is great, but what if you want to
> > randomise events and use timers etc, you need to use something
like
> > HA which relies on a PC which may not reboot properly, a
nuisance
> > when I am there, complete pain in the ass if I am not.
> > Or I could link it to my comfort system, which seems better but
has
> > limitations on memory/timers/responses etc, OK to start with but
> > can see the automation out growing the capabilities of Comfort.
> >
> > Then you have the home cinema side of things, I have most stuff
wired
> > up and currently use a pronto remote with Pyramid senders and
> > recievers. Kind of does the job and if I am there I can can get
out
> > of a situation where a macro missed a beat or A piece of kit
didnt
> > turn on. However it doesnt go down well, when I get home from
work
> > and the wife informs me she spent 3 hours trying to set up to
watch a
> > DVD and gave up in the end.
> >
> > So I am after a simillar thing to Kevin.
> > Something that can run in the background to take care of
automation
> > that doesnt require user intervention once set up.
> > Also a reliable and foolproof man machine interface for both
Lighting