Latest message you have seen: RE: Re: [OT] Hosted exchange?

Re: ISP & Router Needed

I do contract work, and work from home a lot, and went with f2s - no
outages in nearly 2 years, and excellent service so I recommend them.
The only notable difference between a private and business service is
the price, so mine's private (but charged to the business, of course).
If you need more than one PC to access the 'net at any one time, you'll
need to pay more to get more than one address.

Martin

Raymond Kelly wrote:

>If your working from home as a 'business' then you should have a
>business level service. That's basically the main difference in price.
>You'ff find that the price will be £25 instead of £15 a month. You
>then need to think about web sites, fixed Ip maybe and possible
>hosting.
>For the record I've got Pipex.
>
>Ray
>

>On 12/01/06, Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG) <haweste@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>Well...I've sold my soul to the devil and quit my staff job to go
contract. It all seemed a good idea at the time...

>>Anyway, this means I need to sort out my own high-speed internet
service along with a suitable modem/router etc. There's no cable in my area
so it's ADSL-only, and the on-line BT checker indicates I can get speeds up
to 2meg.

>>I've had a look at www.adslguide.org and there appears to be a few
tiers of service: A&A / Nildram / Plusnet / Zen etc. who get the
highest ratings, but also charge the most, then there's a second tier which
includes Wanadoo and at a slightly lower cost, then a third tier with
people like virgin.net / talktalk / BT-Yahoo etc. at much the same price as
the 2nd tier.

>>Wanadoo will do 8meg for £14.99 (1st 6 months, then £17.99) if the
exchange is suitable, mine isn't however :-(   So I'd get a 2meg service.
>>Anyone else here on Wanadoo, or can think of a reason not to go
with them?

>>I will be working form home some of the time, but not all. Other
than that I only need a connection for email, general web surfing, banking
etc. A 2 or 3GB monthly limit should probably be ok.

>>Wanadoo 8meg broadband
>>http://tinyurl.com/cgkr8
>>Or http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/broadbandaccess/default.htm?link=StreamName_MIB_all_8Meg_running&cd_source=winkle#
>>

>>That's the ISP sorted, now what about the modem/router. Wanadoo
will supply a free USB one, however I want to share the connection with a
couple of other machines. The Draytek Vigor's were highly rated on here a
while ago. The 2800VG looks pretty good: modem/router, Ethernet switch, USB
print server, wireless and two inbuilt VoIP ports. At approx. £140 it looks
expensive compared to the 3Com wireless modem router that was on offer with
a free USB wireless dongle or Cardbus card, but the 3Com has no USB print
server or VoIP ports, however it is only £50-odd...