Latest message you have seen: RE: {Disarmed} RE: Re: Philips Living Colors LED lights - automation?

ISP & Router Needed

  • Subject: ISP & Router Needed
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward \(GEG\)" <haweste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:42:33 -0000

Well...I've sold my soul to the devil and quit my staff job to go
contract.=
It all seemed a good idea at the time...
=20
Anyway, this means I need to sort out my own high-speed internet service
al=
ong with a suitable modem/router etc. There's no cable in my area so it's
A=
DSL-only, and the on-line BT checker indicates I can get speeds up to
2meg.=
=20

I've had a look at www.adslguide.org and there appears to be a few tiers
of=
service: A&A / Nildram / Plusnet / Zen etc. who get the highest
ratings, b=
ut also charge the most, then there's a second tier which includes Wanadoo
=
and at a slightly lower cost, then a third tier with people like
virgin.net=
/ talktalk / BT-Yahoo etc. at much the same price as the 2nd tier.

Wanadoo will do 8meg for =A314.99 (1st 6 months, then =A317.99) if the
exch=
ange is suitable, mine isn't however :-(   So I'd get a 2meg service.
Anyone else here on Wanadoo, or can think of a reason not to go with them?

I will be working form home some of the time, but not all. Other than that
=
I only need a connection for email, general web surfing, banking etc. A 2
o=
r 3GB monthly limit should probably be ok.

Wanadoo 8meg broadband
http://tinyurl.com/cgkr8=20
Or http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/broadbandaccess/default.htm?link=3DStreamN=
ame_MIB_all_8Meg_running&cd_source=3Dwinkle#

That's the ISP sorted, now what about the modem/router. Wanadoo will
supply=
a free USB one, however I want to share the connection with a couple of ot=
her machines. The Draytek Vigor's were highly rated on here a while ago.
Th=
e 2800VG looks pretty good: modem/router, Ethernet switch, USB print
server=
, wireless and two inbuilt VoIP ports. At approx. =A3140 it looks
expensive=
compared to the 3Com wireless modem router that was on offer with a free U=
SB wireless dongle or Cardbus card, but the 3Com has no USB print server
or=
VoIP ports, however it is only =A350-odd...
=20
Vigor router
http://tinyurl.com/c2yco
Or http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2800v.html