Re: Quiet fans for Antec Aria case

I've got an Aria for my HTPC.

I'm on my second case, the first one was replaced under warranty when
one of the front blue Leds died.

Interestingly, my second case has a mesh section in the lid above the
power supply, obviously to improve air flow and reduce temperatures.
The section is about 100 x 80 mm.

I'm running a 2800 AMD chip in mine.  The down side of this is that the
CPU is partially under the PSU, so I have a tallish coolermaster
heatsink, without a fan on it. This takes up nearly all the available
space between the motherboard and the PSU.  I then have a 80mm Zalman
silent cooling fan, running with the speed limiting resistor installed.
This is mounted on the fan rail on the PSU blowing air down at about 45
degrees onto the part of the heatsink thats visible, and through the
fins of the heatsink towards the PSU fan at the rear of the case.  The
Zalman fan can't be heard at all, and I never have heat issues.
Speedfan reports case temps of 33 degrees max.

You do need to think of airflow when building the unit, and use rounded
ide cables if possible.  I have the HDD mounted on the left hand side of
the case mounted vertically to improve airflow.  As it's SATA the cables
are thin and don't impede airflow much.   I have a DVD writer,  2 Nova T
capture cards and a fanless Radeon 9250 as well.  I'm also using the
cyclone blower in the spare pci slot.

This site <http://www.silentpcreview.com/article146-page4.html>
has info
about fans for the Antec on it.  Try Quiet PC (www.quietpc.co.uk) for
fans and possible passive cooling for the motherboard.
<www.quietpc.co.uk>

Let me know if you have any questions,

Simon

Paul Gordon wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> Yeah, I think you're probably right... because of course it will also
> depend on exactly what motherboard has been fitted & thereby the
> precise positioning of the various components. I'm using this case
> primarily because it just happened to come spare following an upgrade
> to SWMBO's PC, but when we originally specified this case it was
> because it's a bit larger than most "shuttle" size cases,
and
> therefore has more room inside for airflow etc. Also attractive was
> that it takes standard microATX boards, rather than a custom board
> like most of these "shuttle" style cases & thus provides
quite a bit