From: UKHA [mailto:ukha@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 07 January 2006 12:53
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] Tivo Series 3

looks interesting

Andy

********** Forwarded from NLTivo List *********

Hi All,

Coming-up: TiVo Series 3
========================

According to http://www.livejournal.com/community/tivolovers/tag/series3
<http://www.livejournal.com/community/tivolovers/tag/series3>
 TiVo is going
to release a Series 3 device. The device is presented by TiVo at the
Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas. It looks like an awesome
device to me:

- Nice design
- Two built-in tuners (both analog and digital US-cable)
- Nice LCD-display displaying what is being recorded
- Internal Ethernet-interface
- External SATA interface for external HDD
- HD-support
- Backlight remote

According to TiVo, it's highlighted features are:

- Pause and record high-definition cable TV
- Record two programs at once
- Experience video content over your broadband connection
- Enjoy up to 300 hours of recording space
- Expanded home theater audio/video experience
- Planned 2006 release

For pictures, see this link:
http://www.tivoblog.com/archives/2006/01/05/tivo-pictures-from-ces-taken-by-
megazone/
<http://www.tivoblog.com/archives/2006/01/05/tivo-pictures-from-ces-taken-by
-megazone/>

ARStechnica seems to have a write-up too:
<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060106-5915.html>

Unfortunately this is an NTSC-device, which is not usable in Europe.

Tivo goes TGC
=============

TiVo Greater China (China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Singapore TV entertainment
markets) is releasing a Chinese version of TiVo. This is a PAL-device
(modified Series 2) with a built-in ethernet-connector. From the above
website:

"TGC licenses the reference platform and the software, but they (TGC)
are
free to make changes to it. They licensed the Series2 reference platform,
and made the obvious change of adding a 10/100baseT port to it. So I asked
the obvious question of a few people - any hope of seeing that in the US?
It
is a possibility, but there are no firm plans at this time. TGC also did
all
of the localization and customization for the software - and in the photo I
took of the info screen you can see the version is 1.0 - a new tree. But
the
menus are so familiar that even though I can't read Chinese, I was able to
navigate the box - which is how I got to the info screen. :-) The remote,
as
is obvious from the pictures, is a bog standard Series2 remote, except it
is
labeled 'TGC'."

With a copy of the internal TGC-harddisk, it might be possible to hack the
current US Series 2 into working in PAL-mode. Yesterday I received my own
US
Series 2 (thanks to Joergen and the dktivo-community!). I'm wondering how
long it takes for these machines to get hacked into PAL. When that happens,
our TiVo's can be obtained at an even lower price, while getting the
enhanced Series 2 functionality...

Have a nice weekend,

Dennis.

_____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

"
on the web.

*	 To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: