RE: Well and truly [OT] - Anyone got a Peugeot 307?

  • Subject: RE: Well and truly [OT] - Anyone got a Peugeot 307?
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 09:26:18 -0000

> Ah, the joys of being a modern brit.  We think in metric, unless it's
> speeds or long distances, beer, or (sometimes) the height and weight
of
> people.

Speak for yourself !!!

I think in imperial but work mostly in metric.

The rack in my workshop is a 19" rack not a 483mm rack.

Overall dimensions are
Width 22 inches
Depth 20 inches
Height 50 inches (excluding wheels)

It was made from what I still refer to as an 8x4 sheet of MDF although I
knowingly bought 18mm thick board

Marking out for cutting the main panels was done in inches because I can
visualise that more easily than metric however once the panels have been
cut
and I need to divide things into equal parts I then work in metric as xxx/3
is easier to work out in mm than farting about with
quarters/eighths/sixteenths of an inch

I have no problem with doing approximate conversions between imperial and
metric in my head, I just cant fully visualise the size of something in
metric!

Confused.... me... quite possibly :-)

I still remember doing the decimalisation lessons at school. The radio
programs we listened to where presented by the late Stuart Henry. I
remember
the headmaster being horrified when he found out that he was Radio
Luxemburg
DJ. Of course, that came as no surprise to anyone in the class as we all
used to listen to Fab208 every night :-)

Keith