RE: Power & signal & control

  • Subject: RE: Power & signal & control
  • From: "Nigel Giddings" <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 18:01:41 -0000

Chris,

I missed your e-mail of the 26/12, I've been helping a cousin with his
bathroom and work through my e-mails backwards...

The idea of a Node 0 (Central Point) feeding to strategically sub nodes
is, in my opinion, a good idea. This has to be a balance depending on
cost/distance/flexibility/space requirements. I actually have a Node 0
and a Node '3', which is located in the loft, and feeds the loft and 1st
floor. I have actually numbered my floors 0-Basement, 1-Ground Floor,
2-1st Floor, 3-Loft Space, hence Node 3.

Node 3 will be used as a sub location for the C-Bus, sensor wiring
(Temperature, window contacts, movement detection) it will also house
the whole house audio amps for the 1st floor, DECT base-station, WAPs,
'Fixed' GSM Mobile.

The 230v supply will be star wired, both outlets (16a) and lights. I
also intend to use a number of 5a lighting sockets. These will be wired
to the nearest node.

One point to note with star wiring 230v is that you need to have cable
based on the MCB ratingof the circuit so if you have a 30A breaker you
will need 4mm to the outlets if wired radially. Using a 16A breaker will
mean you can use 2.5mm. There is no reason why you couldn't have sub
fuse boxes in each of your nodes, each one supplied by 10mm or whatever
depending on load, then each circuit de-rated with the appropriate MCB.

With the CAT5e wiring you are limited to 100m for 100Meg data, this
might mean you need sub nodes if you have a big house with awkward
runs... A data switch in each node with a single cable linking them
together with local runs to outlets is the commercial standard. The
linking cable may be at 100M or better 1000M.

I have not lived with my own solution yet so I can't comment on
practical experience. But having some 'Super' points with flexibility
has to be a good idea. Places like behind the, main telly, in the study,
probably in the kitchen, Master bedroom if you will have a media centre,
Games/Cinema room... oh hell every room????

What is going to be important is a flexible face plate solution, come
people have adopted the clipsal range where as I am drawn to the RPP
wall plates
http://www.proteusswitchgear.co.uk/downloads/easyclip.pdf

HTH

Nigel