RE: [OT] Freeview PVRs

  • Subject: RE: [OT] Freeview PVRs
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 23:29:21 -0000

> Checked my local Comet this afternoon and it was shown at =A3229 with
1 i=
> stock!!

Yup - when I went in to the Southampton branch today it was showing at
=A32=
29
on the shelf. When they checked they didn't have stock and neither did
Eastleigh nor West Quay - I said that I was after one in a hurry so the
las=
there went and asked whether she could sell the one on display.

> Their web site shows it at =A3199 though.
>=20
> Did you have to challenge them to get it at =A3199?

Nope - she just ran it through the till and said "Oh - that's a bonus
- it'=
coming up at =A3199"

> Let us know how you get on with it.

Hmmm ... haven't really had much chance to play with it this evening as I
have been stripping down and recabling my AV kit to remove the DVD Changer,
VCR, TiVo and Laserdisc player which are all being "retired".=20

The initial reaction from the wife was that she disliked the remote (it was
the wrong colour or something) and we set it to record the Rolf Harris
paints the Queen for Jo's mum but the beeb were running a couple of minutes
late so it didn't get the last two minutes of the program - yes, not its
fault I know but the Thomson DHD4000 has a "Recording Guard"
option that
automatically adds a configurable number of minutes before and after any
recordings that you set up - that (thankfully) had also been set up to
record it too and so got the whole thing. (I had also set the MCE PC to
record it as I was going to try writing the program to DVD but that also
chopped the end off due to the overrun - you have to manually pad the end
o=
a recording with MCE at the moment.)

It is quieter than the DHD4000 though which is good and the remote is very
simple to follow but the menus are very different to the DHD4000 and I'm
no=
convinced they'll be as easy to navigate around but time will tell.

Phil=20