Re: Networked NAS Drives for Serving DVDs?

I've had the Synology DS-101g+ (with a 300Gb Seagate SATA HD) for a few
months now and am pretty happy with it.
Had some initial problems using it to serve music to the Squeezeboxes as
SlimServer would keep the file handle open when the units were powered off
which would cause the NAS to "cool itself" every 15 minutes or
so. However,
this can be resolved by an option in SlimServer.

I bought the g+ version for the Gigabit speed and all the other gizmos
(FTP/Web server etc.)
However, if these are not requirements you could just opt for the cheaper
(and fanless) DS-101j (or the original DS-101 if there's any about).
Of course the nice thing about the DiskStation is that you can attach up to
3 more HDs via USB or use one of the USB ports as a print server.

As far as I know, Synology have released the relevant source code to comply
with GPL.
As far as hacking goes, I've been able to hack it so I can telnet into it
move stuff around quickly etc. which is all I require at present.

Cheers,
Andy.