Re: OT : ebuyer UPS Recall

  • Subject: Re: OT : ebuyer UPS Recall
  • From: "Mark A. Ryder" <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 14:06:00 +0000

I found a design-flaw in this UPS....the hard way.

My understanding is that there is a flaw in the design of the device
that switches in when mains is restored in these UPS's.   Not sure
whether it is the reason for the recall though.

When power is cut and restored within a couple of seconds, the faulty
component seems to apply inverter power and mains power to the
output.   I have both the 650 and 1000 model.  (It was the 1000 model
that fried)

Luckily for me, the fault occurred when I was standing next to it,
rather than the units tucked away in the loft.    I had just
installed a new rack for some new network data storage in the garage
and the UPS was installed to provide clean power and cover any loss
of mains power.    I switched-off the wrong plug by mistake (the plug
supplying the UPS) and switched it back on within a couple of
seconds.    As soon as power was switched back in, the UPS started
sizzling, crackling and emitting a rather disturbing plume of
smoke.   The quickest thing I could do was pull the mains lead out
the back of the unit, but it was still frying.  Nothing cut-out, no
fuses or anything!     In desperation I pressed the button on the
front of the UPS and it still worked and shut the thing off.

It made me seriously consider the wisdom of trusting these units for
a remote/hidden install in the loft space.

Mark

Mark Andrew Ryder

(e-mail) mark@xxxxxxx
(web) www.markryder.us