Fw: Replacing and automating the Central Heating switch (PIC fixed)

  • Subject: Fw: Replacing and automating the Central Heating switch (PIC fixed)
  • From: Gareth Cook <g@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 11:08:57 +0000

With a standard twin zone central heating, there's no value in me
automating the temperature control bit.

Unless I add automated valves on the rads themselves, then it would be
advantageous to have temp control per room.

With my method for now, I can then call up the house and turn the CH on
remotely. But thats all I can see that will add to the experience at the
moment - apart from getting rid of the timer in the utility room

G.

Gareth Cook
Tools and Process Architect
IBM SWG Sales - Lotus Park, Staines, TW18 3AG
Office: +44 (0)1784 445166 - Mobile: +44 (0)7980 445166
AIM Chat : TheBoyG - MSN Chat : chat@xxxxxxx
email: g@xxxxxxx

----- Forwarded by Gareth Cook/UK/IBM on 03/02/2006 11:06 -----

Discussion
Main Topic

ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Today 09:34

.
Subject:
.
RE: [ukha_d] Replacing and automating the Central Heating switch (PIC
fixed)
.
Category:

>A solid state temp sensor for Comfort or CBUS would be nice - I'd
switch
>to that. But I dont have any pc's controlling anything and I'm not
going
>to start now :-) One of the reasons why 2005 has been a stable HA year
at
>Palm Lodge.

Gareth,

I agree with you regarding computer control, and prefer to keep my HA in
dedicated controllers. However I was very interested in Simon's post
recently about the heatmiser thermostats. These have 4 temperature/time
zones for mon-fri and 4 for the weekend. They can also be remotely
controlled via an rs485 link. My plan is to use the stat as a stand
alone boiler controller, then allow PC/comfort to vary the set point as
required. If the HA goes down for any reason, then the stat will simply
revert controlling the heating as per it's settings, and you loose any
additional HA features until the system is up again.

In theory it will work...

Iain