Re: Xbox - AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

  • Subject: Re: Xbox - AAARRRGGGHHH!!!
  • From: "mwgardner2000" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 14:08:07 -0000

Hi Paul

Sorry you're having so much grief! Was there a reason why you chose
to modchip rather than softmod?

I approached my softmod with some trepidation, but apart from several
hours surfing to work out how to do it, the job itself was a breeze
once I'd got all the bits together.

I'm now using XMBC to play music (nowhere near as cool as Sonos
though :-)), DVDs and photos from my server.

Frustratingly, what kicked this project off for me was Mark M's
posting about 720p... Frustrating, because the cable ordered 3 weeks
ago still hasn't turned up!

Here's the instructions I used for the softmod:
http://tinyurl.com/y6zeja

Cheers
Mark

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gordon" <paul@...> wrote:

> Right, I GIVE UP!!!
>
> For sale, 1 brand new XBOX, boxed, perfect condition. Version 1.6.
Has
> been opened & has xapt3r solderless adapter installed, &
apparently
> working (all the LED's come on...)
>
> Is about 5 seconds from being thrown out of an upstairs window.
>
> I have just got a brand new xapt3r & X2.6 chip. As soon as I turn
the
> chip on things start going wrong. I've followed the xapt3r install
> THE PUNCTUATION MARK (that's even closer than to the letter!) Same
goes
> for the chip install. When I start it up with the chip turned off,
all
> is fine, when I start it with the chip turned on, it never goes to
the
> BIOS loader screen. It alternately shows either nothing at all, a
plain
> blue screen, or a screen covered in vertical lines of colour. Every
now
> and then I CAN see the BIOS screen, but the text/graphics all appear
> "broken", and I can see traces of the boot sequence for a
few
seconds,
> but then it disappears and shows a plain blue screen. It looks as
though
> it's showing the normal sequence for when a DVD/HDD aren't
connected, as
> per the very last screenshot in this page:
> http://www.kanection.co.uk/flashbios/
- since I can make out the
> appearance of many lines of yellow text (too garbled to read
though)...

> ONCE only, I saw it look like it had gotten to the BIOS menu
screen, but
> it only remained for about 10 seconds, then went to a plain blue
> screen....
>
> I have double, triple, and quadruple checked the zapt3r install
wires.
> It all looks OK, and like I said, all the LEDS on the zapt3r come
on,
> which I believe indicates a good install?
>
> Does anybody have any ideas that might help before I give in to the
> overwhelming urge I have to chop this chunk of sh*t into tiny
pieces,
> bung 'em all in a plastic bag & flush 'em down the lavatory?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Paul G.

Behalf
> Of
> > Paul Gordon
> > Sent: 05 December 2006 12:22
> > To: UKHA_D Group
> > Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Xbox softmodding
> >
> > As it happens, I'm going to have another go at a solderless
modchip
> > install in this latest one anyway, since I still have an Executer
2.6
> > chip waiting to be used. I had successfully used it in an older
Xbox
> > with a solderless adapter, but I couldn't get the adapter to keep
> > reliable contact with the motherboard and it kept lifting off
ever so
> > slightly, making the box revert to its non-modded state. I tried
many
> > methods to get a more reliable connection, all of which failed
> > eventually, and the last of which (superglue!!) actually hosed
it! -
> > superglue is obviously conductive, a fact which I was not
previously
> > aware of...- learn something new every day...
> >
> > However, I see there's now a newer version of the adapter
available,
> and
> > it is suitable for use in 1.6's and it does look like it might be
> > better product, so I'm going to give it a go. At least this time
> know
> > what to look out for, what to try, and what *NOT* to try!
> >
> > I still have another box (my parents one), which is also I
believe a
> > 1.6, which I want to do a pure softmod on. - don't want to risk
> damaging
> > it by any form of soldering on the motherboard. I will need to
open it
> > up & do a HDD swap though, since they don't have any other
NAS
storage
> > that can be used to hold the media, so I need it to be self-
contained
> > with all the kids DVD's stored on it. - I believe from what I've
read
> > that softmodding does permit a HDD upgrade, - although it rather
looks
> > like there's a whole bunch of faffing around to be done
> > locking/unlocking the drive etc...
> >
> > Question: - are the drives locked to a specific Xbox? - I have a
250GB
> > drive that I had previously installed in that first box I
installed my
> > X2.6 chip in... - it's all formatted & ready to go, could I
put
that
> in
> > any other Xbox (softmodded of course) & expect it to work, or
will the
> > Xbox demand a specific drive uniquely locked to that individual
box
> > only?
> >
> > Paul G.

chipped
but
> > they
> > > can not be "chipped" by simply reprogramming the
bios chip
(TSOP).

> > > Now adays I don't think it would be worth doing it via TSOP
anyway,
> > the
> > > softmod (using memorycard/game) is so easy and quick that
its
pretty