RE: Xbox - AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Right, I GIVE UP!!!

For sale, 1 brand new XBOX, boxed, perfect condition. Version 1.6. Has
been opened & has xapt3r solderless adapter installed, & apparently
working (all the LED's come on...)

Is about 5 seconds from being thrown out of an upstairs window.

I have just got a brand new xapt3r & X2.6 chip. As soon as I turn the
chip on things start going wrong. I've followed the xapt3r install TO
THE PUNCTUATION MARK (that's even closer than to the letter!) Same goes
for the chip install. When I start it up with the chip turned off, all
is fine, when I start it with the chip turned on, it never goes to the
BIOS loader screen. It alternately shows either nothing at all, a plain
blue screen, or a screen covered in vertical lines of colour. Every now
and then I CAN see the BIOS screen, but the text/graphics all appear
"broken", and I can see traces of the boot sequence for a few
seconds,
but then it disappears and shows a plain blue screen. It looks as though
it's showing the normal sequence for when a DVD/HDD aren't connected, as
per the very last screenshot in this page:
http://www.kanection.co.uk/flashbios/
- since I can make out the
appearance of many lines of yellow text (too garbled to read though)...

ONCE only, I saw it look like it had gotten to the BIOS menu screen, but
it only remained for about 10 seconds, then went to a plain blue
screen....

I have double, triple, and quadruple checked the zapt3r install wires.
It all looks OK, and like I said, all the LEDS on the zapt3r come on,
which I believe indicates a good install?

Does anybody have any ideas that might help before I give in to the
overwhelming urge I have to chop this chunk of sh*t into tiny pieces,
bung 'em all in a plastic bag & flush 'em down the lavatory?

Cheers.

Paul G.

Of
> Paul Gordon
> Sent: 05 December 2006 12:22
> To: UKHA_D Group
> Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Xbox softmodding
>
> As it happens, I'm going to have another go at a solderless modchip
> install in this latest one anyway, since I still have an Executer 2.6
> chip waiting to be used. I had successfully used it in an older Xbox
> with a solderless adapter, but I couldn't get the adapter to keep a
> reliable contact with the motherboard and it kept lifting off ever so
> slightly, making the box revert to its non-modded state. I tried many
> methods to get a more reliable connection, all of which failed
> eventually, and the last of which (superglue!!) actually hosed it! -
> superglue is obviously conductive, a fact which I was not previously
> aware of...- learn something new every day...
>
> However, I see there's now a newer version of the adapter available,
and
> it is suitable for use in 1.6's and it does look like it might be a
> better product, so I'm going to give it a go. At least this time I
know
> what to look out for, what to try, and what *NOT* to try!
>
> I still have another box (my parents one), which is also I believe a
> 1.6, which I want to do a pure softmod on. - don't want to risk
damaging
> it by any form of soldering on the motherboard. I will need to open it
> up & do a HDD swap though, since they don't have any other NAS
storage
> that can be used to hold the media, so I need it to be self-contained
> with all the kids DVD's stored on it. - I believe from what I've read
> that softmodding does permit a HDD upgrade, - although it rather looks
> like there's a whole bunch of faffing around to be done
> locking/unlocking the drive etc...
>
> Question: - are the drives locked to a specific Xbox? - I have a 250GB
> drive that I had previously installed in that first box I installed my
> X2.6 chip in... - it's all formatted & ready to go, could I put
that
in
> any other Xbox (softmodded of course) & expect it to work, or will
the
> Xbox demand a specific drive uniquely locked to that individual box
> only?
>
> Paul G.

chip (TSOP).