NEWBIE

Hello Everyone!!

I have recently found out about home automation - clever stuff

I am currently renovating my home (an old 4 bedroom farm) and would
like to incorporate home automation.

I would like to install everything myself, mainly to save money, to
spend on more home automation products!!. And to allow me to
understand the operation, and how to change and add things in the
future.

I am a competent industrial electrician, and feel I could and would
like to carry out this work myself.

I have read a couple of books (home automation for dummies etc..),
and now think I have a good idea of what I would liket the house to
do!!

I can imagine a number of these points have been asked on numerous
occasions, but I'm new.

Please can you help me with the following? What I need to know is
what are the best items to put together that can carry out these
tasks, and what cabling will I need to install for each piece of
equipment.

I would like to control my lights for the following
functions.

local switching within a room, i.e. ON/OFF/DIMMING
remote switching i.e. ON/OFF/DIMMING from a RF remote control
remote switching i.e. ON/OFF/DIMMING - subject to an event,
i.e. darkness, occupancy or vehicle approaching etc.
Exterior lights are switched on subject to an event, i.e.
darkness, movement, etc

I would like to operate vertical blinds (rotate, open and
close).
local switching within a room, i.e. OPEN/CLOSE/ROTATE
remote switching i.e. OPEN/CLOSE/ROTATE from a RF remote
control
remote switching i.e. OPEN/CLOSE/ROTATE - subject to an
event, ie darkness, occupancy or security alert etc.

I have a set of automated gates and would like the following
automation incorporated.

When a visitor arrives they could press a button on an
intercom that would call a mobile number. If on site the person who
answers the mobile could open the gates if applicable. If not on
site, the gates would obviously not be opened, but the visitor would
be unaware the property is currently unoccupied.

I would like to automate underfloor heating within each room.
Local switching within a room, i.e. ON/OFF/AUTO, where auto
would control room temp according to a room sensor.
remote switching i.e. ON/OFF/AUTO from a RF remote control
remote switching i.e. ON/OFF/AUTO - subject to an event,
i.e. lower outside temperature, occupancy or day/night.

Distributed Audio and video from the living room, i.e. any
DVD watched here is distributed around each room, satellite and
terrestrial signals are distributed around each room and able to be
controlled from that room.

CCTV.
I would like to be able to call up any particular CCTV
camera on any TV within the home if required.

Finally, when fitting a flat screen tv, what are the best
outlets (for power and data) to fit behind the screen. I have seen
some 3 gang floor boxes?? what do people use, as the will be some
excess cable bulky connectors, transformers etc..

I know there are a lot of questions, and I have probably generated a
load of questions to be answered from this, but it's a starting
point.

Thanks for your help - in advance

ta