RE: [OT] Cherished Numbers

Malcolm,

If the number is currently held on a retention certificate (V778), this is
"owned" by the grantee. The number can be assigned to any vehicle
registered
in the name of either the grantee or a nominee. The grantee can add a name
(eg you) as a nominee, but the nominee technically has no rights to the
retained number. The V778 can not be transferred into another name, the
only
way to change the name is to assign the number to a nominee's vehicle.

If the number is currently on a vehicle, and you wish to assign the number
to your vehicle, the seller will have to apply for the number to be
transferred using form V317 along with documents (V5, MOT etc) for both
vehicles.

If the number is currently on a vehicle and you don't wish to put it on
your
vehicle immediately, the seller will have to apply for a retention
certificate using form V778/1. The retention certificate will then be in
his
name, and only he (as grantee) has rights to the number although it can be
assigned at a later date to any vehicle registered in the name of a nominee
(see above). The other option in this scenario is to register the seller's
vehicle in your name (effectively for you to buy the car), this will then
get it into your name, you can then apply for the retention certificate
which would then be in your name.

Personally, I would be nervous doing anything other than transferring the
number to my own vehicle unless the seller is someone I could trust.

Hope this helps,
Roger