Re: Re: Server spec for Geovision/homeseer/mainlobby

The security stuff can be a bit of a PITA - by default it's set up in a
more restricted manner than XP.

I've never found anything that won't run though, but the number of apps
we use is fairly limited so I can't say I've tried an exhaustive selection.

Joseph

Nigel Giddings wrote:
> I?m no expert but I understand that Server 2003 is much more secure,
in fact some apps won?t run on it, it is that secure?.

"Paul Gordon" <paul@...> wrote:

>>>Dave,
>>>
>>>I've no doubt that you *could* do all that on 1 box if you
wanted

>>to,
>>

>>>and if you specced it well enough.
>>>
>>>As an indicator, I am currently running a *single* server that
>>
>>does:
>>

>>>Windows 2003 Server (AD Domain controller, & Global Catalog
server)
>>>DNS server
>>>Exchange 2003 server
>>>Webserver for paulgordon.homeip.-net
>>>File server for me & SWMBO's workstations
>>>Geovision version 7 with a GV650-4 (with 3 cameras attached)
>>>Homeseer 2.0 & Comfort plugin
>>>
>>>This is running on a P4-3GHz with 3 GB RAM on a Gigabyte
>>
>>motherboard.
>>

>>>Steady-state CPU utilisation sits around the 55% mark, so not
>>
>>overly
>>

>>>stressed.
>>>

>>>From your list of requirements, you don't *need* to be running
>>
>>>server-grade OS, although I still think it's a good idea for a
>>
>>server...
>>

>>>(biggest factor there will probably be drivers for the graphics
>>
>>card you
>>

>>>want to use).
>>>If you stick to a single box, you will keep power consumption
>>
>>lower than
>>

>>>running 2 or 3 machines, plus there will be less hardware to go
>>
>>wrong...
>>

>>>I'm planning to rebuild that server in the new year onto a core
duo
>>>platform mainly to reduce power consumption. At that time I
will

>>put in
>>

>>>fewer, larger HDD's to the same end.
>>>
>>>HTH