RE: Server spec for Geovision/homeseer/mainlobby

  • Subject: RE: Server spec for Geovision/homeseer/mainlobby
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 14:06:56 -0000

Dave,

I've no doubt that you *could* do all that on 1 box if you wanted to,
and if you specced it well enough.

As an indicator, I am currently running a *single* server that does:

Windows 2003 Server (AD Domain controller, & Global Catalog server)
DNS server
Exchange 2003 server
Webserver for paulgordon.homeip.net
File server for me & SWMBO's workstations
Geovision version 7 with a GV650-4 (with 3 cameras attached)
Homeseer 2.0 & Comfort plugin

This is running on a P4-3GHz with 3 GB RAM on a Gigabyte motherboard.

Steady-state CPU utilisation sits around the 55% mark, so not overly
stressed.

>From your list of requirements, you don't *need* to be running a
server-grade OS, although I still think it's a good idea for a server...
(biggest factor there will probably be drivers for the graphics card you
want to use).
If you stick to a single box, you will keep power consumption lower than
running 2 or 3 machines, plus there will be less hardware to go wrong...

I'm planning to rebuild that server in the new year onto a core duo
platform mainly to reduce power consumption. At that time I will put in
fewer, larger HDD's to the same end.

HTH

Paul G.

Of