Re: Freeview PVR - Build or buy

drownedrat wrote:
> Not posted in a long long time, but slowly getting back to my HA
projects.

> Advice appreciated on the above. I want a PVR with freeview capability
> and may be able to use some christmas goodwill towards one so am
> trying to decide whether to build or buy.
>
> I already use XBMC to play from a media server so have playback
> options there but not way to capture at present. Apart from a stash of
> old videos I want to cap before binning I'll be getting stuff from
> freeview. I will want to be able to archive some stuff to the server.
>
> The challenge is SWMBO may want to use it from time to time. She's
> computer literate but not a techie.
>
> So what's the wisdom of the group buy PVR (Humax 9200 or such) or
> build a myth or GBPVR box (probably with hauppage card as seem to have
> best support)
>
> Many thanks.
>
> A.

Nova-T or Nova-S is the best bet. That way you just record the transmitted
mpeg
stream.

Hauppage PVR cards are useful going from an analogue video signal (s-video)
mpg. I use one to record sky.

Myth is excellent if you want total control - ranges from KnoppMyth (insert
CD
and go) to full-on compile your own system.

>From a usage point of view it's menu driven from (any) simple remote.
The web
interface allows fast recording management. A dedicated box is best and
offloading the video storage allows you to scale more easily without the
noise
in the lounge.

I have no clue about DRM type systems from M$ :)

David