Re: Home cinema

Hmm ... good points ... how to answer ?

... as Tim noted a long time ago, the core image of DVDs is surprisingly
small ... meaning it's difficult to see that large images can be good,
other than as a means of allowing more people to view ... ie: the larger
image has to be seen far-away, 'cos the detail ain't there ...

... sound ... the stereo hi-fi's pretty-good, base-wise & all ...

... image-quality ... the 'Macs are pretty good ... colour accuracy &
depth, etc ... last-time I went to the shops, TVs - of any size or type
- were pretty poor, in-comparison ... ... in a few weeks, I'll
look-again ... don't get let-out very often ... once a year !

... our room ... not large ... about 3m square ... plus adjoining
ways-through ... meaning 3m x 5m, acoustically ... french-windows on one
wall ... walls & ceiling wet-plastered ...

otherwise .. it's the parlour, which'll have a large 2.4m square table,
bar-stool height, with low-set four-screen display-box in 'centre, one
to each side, each able to display 'different or 'same programme ...

'middle-floor encompasses all this, opening to garden, too ... in
summer, anyway ...

Chris

-----

Monday, 04 Dec '6 - 19:36:45 -0000

from: Paul Gale   groups@xxxxxxx

Depends on personal taste, a bit - but a large plasma / LCD / projector
is significantly better to watch than any PC / 'Mac screen - even my
25"
LCDs IMO.

Paul

-----

Monday, 04 Dec '6 - 20:33:57 -0000

from: Nigel Giddings   nigel@xxxxxxx

I can't understand the indecisiveness ... I can understand the confusion
:-)

You cannot beat the full-sound system of 5.1 or 7.1, the sub-woofer does
it for me ... a decent image on a large screen, in a darkened room, also
helps to transport you into the film ...

Personally, I feel that PCs (I only have 'Windows experience) are at
such a price / performance point they should be the centre of any set-up
... for much less than £500, you can get a PC that can output HDTV
&
full surround-audio - the advantage is up-scaling DVD material, Freeview
& SKY SD ... ability to play HD downloads ... HD content available that
is royalty-free ...

The only issue is how to project ... large LCDs & Plasmas are still a
bit small ... having experienced CRT, it would seem the way to go, but
'is expensive or requires a lot of fettling ... LCD & DLP projectors
are
very good, now, especially if you spend £4K+ ...

If you have the room, why not do it ?   My cinema can also be used for
entertaining, as a party-space ... great for interactive DVD-games,
presentation-suite and, maybe, one day, as a posh video-conference
system ...

Do you have a room in-mind, what size ... natural light ... sound
reflectiveness ... ?

Nigel