Re: X10 Question

You would wire your momentary switches all in parallel (not star) that
way pressing any switch shorts the two wires and triggers either a
micromodule (just one) or is wired directly to the contacts on the DIN
dimmer if you have one. You can't tell which switch was actually pressed
but that's not normally an issue. You need to ensure your dimmer can
handle the wattage of all your 10 down lighters added together and is
obviously rated as suitable for that purpose eg mains/low voltage with
transformer etc. There is possibly one other route for you where you
would take the wires from the momentary switch into a zone input on your
alarm panel and use the press action to send an X10 signal - not sure if
your alarm panel can do that though and it might not handle dim/bright
well. All in all I would strongly recommed taking the wires directly to
the dimmer module as the most reliable way as no intermediary X10
signalling is required which improves reliability and response time.

Kevin

Jonathan Hall wrote:

> Hi Marcus,
>
> I had a look at the links you posted, I suppose the simplest way to
> think of
> my ?central corridor? lighting is one set of 10 dimmers with 5 single
gang
> switches. Each switch can toggle the lights on or off. I can get
momentary
> switches in MK logic plus to match the sockets so that is good. So
another
> question, would I need a micro module in the back of each switch or
could
> the five switches all be routed back, in a star topology, to something
> that
> then applies power the lights? This would keep the cost down quite
abit.

> You tell it is the school holidays no support tickets in my queue to
deal
> with today.
>
> Cheers
>
> Jonathan
>
> _____
>
> From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
> [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>]
On
> Behalf Of
> Marcus Warrington
> Sent: 18 August 2006 12:39
> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
> Subject: RE: [ukha_d] X10 Question
>
> Jonathan
>
> Sounds a similar layout to mine, 1 hallway downstairs + vestibule, 2
> upstairs landings. Like you these were all wired originally with a
> traditional wiring layout, but had multiple switches at each location
> instead of your one. If I've understood you correctly then your
> landings+hallway lights all come on or go off whenever any of the
switches
> are flicked ..yes?
>
> If this is the case then I would suggest that you replace each of the
3
> switches with a momentary press type. BQ sell one for about £4-5
but
> it does
> have the word "press" on it, or you can use the clipsal ones
from
> letsautomate or Rob Hunter sells some nice ones that look exactly like
> standard white switches.
>
> I would "guess" that one of the lights is the
"master" i.e the one
> that all
> the switches come back too, and the other two are simply spurred off
this
> one. If this is the case you can simply pop a micro module in there or
> even
> an LD11 in a suitable box, in at that ceiling rose.
>
> MicroModule : http://www.letsauto
> <http://www.letsautomate.com/11608.cfm?
> <http://www.letsautomate.com/11608.cfm?>>
> mate.com/11608.cfm?
>
> LD11 : http://www.letsauto <http://www.letsautomate.com/10002.cfm?
> <http://www.letsautomate.com/10002.cfm?>>
> mate.com/10002.cfm?
>
> Regards
>
> Marcus
>
> ________________________________
>
> From: ukha_d@yahoogroups. <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
com
> [mailto:ukha_d@yahoogroups. <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
com] On
> Behalf
> Of Jonathan Hall
> Sent: 18 August 2006 11:55
> To: ukha_d@yahoogroups. <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
com
> Subject: RE: [ukha_d] X10 Question
>
> Hi Marcus,
>
> It is an Infinite panel by Electronics line, I got it from
> www.tlc-direct.co.uk <http://www.tlc- <http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/
> <http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/>>
> direct.co.uk/ <http://www.tlc- <http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/
> <http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/>>