Re: Is there a Linux version of Windows Media Centre Edition?

I've got an 80Gb SATA HDD currently used for the WinXP partition,
music
files and photos, and a 250Gb SATA used exclusively for recordings.

My TV cards are both Hauppauge Nova-T 90002 DVB-T.

It could be an interesting weekend.

Simon

Pete Shew wrote:

> Simon,
> if you want to use the box for anything else think about partitions
> - my root was too small with Knoppmyth, and the partition used for
media
> had a low number of inodes which is great for big files (each inode is
> a n index to a block of disk) but meant that I had problems storing
> music files as I ran out of inodes - effectively directory entries -
> before I ran out of disk space.
>
> With two sata drives - you don't say how big they are - you might be
> tempted to create volume sets (think dynamic disks), but my own
> preference is to avoid that if possible. You have options for file
> systems - the default EXT3 is OK but reiserfs and jfs have had more
> recent development jfs is better for large files than reiserfs and I
> used that for the TV recordings and video files and reiserfs for the
> rest (/ - 7GB /var - 1GB). Remember that mounts and symbolic links are
> way of life in Linux so partitions can appear as subdirectories with
> different characteristics according to required use. (Junction points
> are rare in Windows)
>
> What DVB-T cards have you got - I had to fiddle when I first installed
> Knoppmyth, but the rebuild on Ubuntu recognised my Hauppauge cards OK.
> had problems initially getting the channels tuned, as there was no
data
> for Belmont transmitter in the Linux utilities and I had to got
> searching for it. Then the scan worked OK.
>
> I will admit to purging the channel table in the database by hand
after
> it was set up. I have a "reasonable" understanding of the
links between
> the channels and the Radio Times EPG data if you have a problem. If
you
> set up channel icons, do make sure they are there as missing icons
> drastically slow down the EPG presentation.
>
> I am ignorant of libc as I don't use MythTV to drive a TV - I use
> different front ends for networking real TV's.
>
> I hope I haven't scared you off.
> Pete
>
> Simon Ryley wrote:
> > Ok, after reading all this, I'll bite and give knoppmyth another
try on
> > my media box, as it needs a reinstall anyway.
> >
> > Does anyone have any handy tips for an install on two SATA drives
with
> > DVB-T cards in the UK?
> >
> > From my last attempt the biggest problems were configuring the tv
guide
> > and getting the Hauppauge remote to work with LIRC, neither of
which I
> > accomplished :(
> >
> > Simon
> >

> > Ian Lowe wrote:

look at it, as
> every

> something

> >> No OS wars but my Linux server that runs MythTV, file and
print server
> >> for Windows boxes, intranet and sometimes internet web
servers,