Re: Re: CBus???

C-Bus dimmer units come in 8 channel and 4 channel versions - both
cost
about the same here in the UK but the 8 channel supplies 1A (240W) and
the 4CH supplies twice that at 2A (480W) .  They are physically the same
size (12 DIN units wide).  So for all your 40 circuits you may be OK
with 5 x 8CH dimmers or you may need a few higher power ones.  There are
versions above the 2A too but not DIN rail mounting.  For ONOFF devices
you get 12 relays provided in the same 12 width DIN units.    If you are
using dimmable fluorescents then there are units for those too - don't
use them myself but I think that interface is called 'DALI'. You will
need C-Bus switches and maybe input/bus couplers for any existing non
C-Bus switches and at least one serial PCI interface to program the
system.... and enough space to mount the DIN units and circuit breakers,
which you may already have.

It used to be that by attending the C-Bus training course you got a
starter system given that was of more value than the cost of the course
- and you had the training and certified status too which sometimes
helped with later pricing. Phil should able to clarify the current
situation here.

One thing to be aware of - to automate C-Bus ie add 'if/then' logic
interactions or timed events needs some other hardware - Clipsal have
some of their own offerings here like the PAC and touchscreens, and some
PC software like HomeGate, C-Lution, C-Schedule,  otherwise C-Bus
support is needed within your chosen HA controller. Hence my use of xAP
and HomeSeer,  Chris' MainLobby possibilities, inbuilt in Charmed Quark
and Phil's prodding for a HV product  ;-)  A standard lighting system is
easily implemented with what you have already though.... but I know
HA'ers always want more...

Kevin

Paul Gale wrote:

> Great - so with a bit of re-wiring, I could swap out just the LD11's
> for CBus dimmers and add a few DLT's?
>
> What exactly would I need? i.e. the dimmer units and....?
>
> Paul.

On
> Behalf Of
> > Phil Harris
> > Sent: 09 August 2006 16:00
> > To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
> > Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Re: CBus???
> >

> > > What's the limitation on the aux inputs? Do they allow
> > > dimming and on/off just like X10 LD11's?
> > >
> > > Paul.
> >
> > The input channels on the AUX input units are opto-isolated from
the
> C-Bus
> > side of the circuitry (which is not the case in the Bus Couplers)
and