Re: CBus???

C-Bus dimmer packs do not offer individual channel control except by
C-Bus. They do have a tiny channel toggle switch on them but no wired
switch connection. They also have allow a couple of switches to be
attached to turn all the channels on that dimmer pack on or off.

You need to use C-Bus switches or Clipsal provide a DIN mounting input
module that offers 4 volt free contacts - which can be wired to 4
separate switches (not 240V live wired ones). They also have a tiny box
called a bus coupler 5104BCL that provides the same 4 inputs but is
designed to fit behind a switch and 'C-Bus' enable it . This latter unit
has cable length restrictions. Retail is still around £80 ish though.

A significant cost for C-Bus is the number of switches you need but the
number of buttons per switch doesn't raise the price much. However
always going for 8 channel as I did originally can cause confusion as
there are just too many buttons.

You could use the xAP gateway to C-Bus and then any device that can
generate xAP BSC messages can be used to switch a C-Bus light. This
could be HomeSeer or another controller application, or even Phaedrus'
xAP Netiom which offers 16 'volt free' inputs each of which can be
attached to a normal switch. you do need to be careful over how your
cable length is run though. You don't get the niceties of a true C-Bus
switch though - the light up indicators - the press to hold dim/bright
functionality, scenes and of course the cosmetics of the switch - the
Saturns are particularly nice in a contemporary installation and have
high WAF. Some comparable functionality can be achieved using scripts in
xAP/ HS though. The other big plus for an all C-Bus system is that it is
one interconnected system that just works, it responds quickly and has
very capable network resolution code to cope with power or network
outages in really neat ways. All in all this is one of the great pluses
of a C-Bus system - it works so damn reliably. In any setup the more
'steps' there are involved the less reliable it is. Most of my xAP stuff
is now running embedded (doesn't require a PC at all) .

One other aspect that may be useful to you if you are migrating from X10
is that by using xAP you can intermix your X10 and C-Bus lighting. You
can use X10 switches/remotes to control C-Bus dimmers and you can use
C-Bus switches/remotes to control X10. You can even have mixed 'groups'
of C-Bus and X10. This can soon be done without a PC being needed too.
This makes for a nice migration path but as you become more and more
impressed by C-Bus you'll soon be replacing the X10 bit by bit..

Kevin

Paul Gale wrote:
> Wondering if I should replace my current extensive X10 system for
CBus? I have approx 40 LD11?s + a handful of AD10?s. Cost is the big factor
? could maybe afford the dimmers etc but not 20 or so Saturn switches!
(maybe one or two in key locations though)

> I have momentary rocker switches everywhere to control the X10 ? can
these be used to control CBus in the same way as X10 i.e. quick press for
on/off and hold down to cycle dimming? Maybe affordable if I can use my
existing switches.