RE: Secure Your Home By Throwing Out Your Keys

  • Subject: RE: Secure Your Home By Throwing Out Your Keys
  • From: "Dave Sussman" <davids@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 10:18:32 +0100

I was going to join in on the "bump keys" discussion. My
brother is TD
of a company that does commercial security systems (www.tdsi.co.uk) and
he may be joining the group to throw in some information; I've a longer
reply from him that he may post (and if he doesn't, I will), but a
snippet is:

"Also, all sensors are powered by battery and you have to consider
what
happens when the battery goes flat. For a domestic environment you need
to fail safe which means you need to provide key access in an emergency.
Therefore, do you take your key all the time just in case or leave it
with a neighbour?"

Putting in a 12v supply to run entry systems is possible for some of us,
but probably not mainstream. The same worry applies; what happens if the
power dies?

I'd love to put one of these on my front door, as I'm constantly
dropping my keys while carrying too much (walking back to the car is
just too much effort), but I certainly wouldn't trust it as a sole
method of securing a door.

Of
> Mark McCall
> Sent: 08 August 2006 10:00