RE: Audio/Video Distribution

  • Subject: RE: Audio/Video Distribution
  • From: "Paul Gale" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 08:59:43 +0100

Hi Chris,

Yes of course!

A number of us here run AV switchers - or the more capable Video Matrix
Swi=
tchers. I have an Extron MAV128 which has 12 composite video and stereo
inp=
uts and 8 outputs. It allows boosting and switching of any of the inputs
to=
any output and also allows 'audio breakaway' which means you can route the=
audio separately. It has front panel control and/or RS232 serial control f=
rom a PC/HA hardware etc. Mine is connected to HomeVision Pro controller.

All my AV sources (MP3 server, Sky HD, Sky+ etc) are located in Node0
where=
the matrix switcher is. I then route the outputs via Kat5 boxes (video and=
audio over Cat5) to various TV's around the house by way of structured Cat=
5 infrastructure.

I also have a whole house audio system and the A/V sources also feed into
t=
his so I can listen to radio via Sky or any of the sources in any one of
th=
e 8 zones, independently or in conjunction with the TV signal.

You can get S-Video, RGB, Component etc matrix switchers as well but
they'r=
e more expensive. I found that a good composite signal distributed this
way=
is perfectly fine for most average and slightly larger TV's. I do feed the=
Sky HD signal in YUV (Component) to a 50" plasma and to an HD LCD TV
via H=
DMI separately though as composite is terrible on these kinds of high
resol=
ution displays.

I think I paid =A31500 trade for my switcher. Well worth it IMO.

Paul.

re=
> over my CAT5 cables, and was thinking
> about having a dedicated point in the house where I will keep multiple
> audio/video sources.
>=20
> Now I know I need some sort of AV switcher, but I want to find one
that
> can send to multiple end points.. i.e One room can watch sky, another
roo=